Friday, September 07, 2007

a visit to waterpenny


Jill and I are CSA shareholders with Waterpenny Farm and had the distint pleasure of heading out to the farm this past Monday for a tomato tasting. They invited friends and CSA members for tables full of 23 large tomatoes and 6 cherry tomatoes.

Seeing as how I didn't particularly enjoy tomatoes until a couple years, I was a bit overwhelmed by the experience and couldn't distinguish flavor characteristics with the same confidence that I have with coffee. I must say that I was impressed with the variety of flavors that we picked out, with notes including melon, pumpkin, citrus, stone fruit and various mild spices.

After the tasting, we were able to tour the farm and see some of the tricks they're using to control bugs, weeds and animals without herbicides and pesticides. They also made us hold chickens. I can't say that I've ever held a chicken and wasn't really excited about it, but now I'm pretty proud of it.

We are really grateful for the hard work that Eric and Rachel--as well as the interns from Peru, who are here to learn sustainable farming practices--put into the farm in order to make amazing produce for their shareholders and the local farmers markets.

No comments: