Saturday, June 30, 2007

Gibbon on History

After traveling throughout parts Italy and spending a few days in Rome a month ago, I realized that I know very little about the history of Rome and the Roman empire. I've always been a Greece guy, focusing my classical studies on Herodotus, Homer, the Tragedians, Plato and the lyric poets. Now I'm trying to learn a little about the Romans by diving into Gibbon's The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. While I doubt that I'll finish the three volume abridged version that I have, I'm picking up some nuggets along the way.

"Antonius diffused order and tranquility over the greatest part of the earth. His reign is marked by the rare advantage of furnishing very few materials for history; which is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind."

It appears that Gibbon, one of the most esteemed historians of his--or any--time, believes that "history" is just a record of humanity's errors. Maybe I don't want to be famous, after all. I've spent 28 years trying my best to make a way into the books--without much success--through positive actions. Maybe that's just the wrong approach. From now on, I'll focus on failure. That's the ticket...failure.

No comments: